Media Relations (News Releases, News Rooms)
Use these resources to find bulk e-mail software, databases of journalists' e-mail addresses, services that will help distribute news releases for you, and information on how to approach media contacts using the Internet.
- Bulk Email Software Superstore
- Sells a variety of bulk e-mailing products at prices ranging from $95 to $1395. Pretty good site for comparing features and costs.
- Gebbie Press - All-In-One Media Directory
- Mark Gebbie sells a database of about 20,000 print and broadcast media that is an excellent value. Don't expect e-mail addresses for individual editors, though (although the same can be said for more expensive directories).
Bacon's Media Source
- Bacon's Media Source acquired Media Map, which was a source for the best
database of media contacts anywhere. Only one problem: it's expensive. They
sell lists and services--but they also offer a free newsletter with updated
media contact information (you'll have to sleuth the e-mail addresses yourself). Also
has free trials, demos, and resources.
- Middleberg/Ross Media in Cyberspace Study
- Compiled by Don Middleberg and Steven S. Ross in cooperation with the Columbia School of Journalism, this long-running study on media use of the Internet is the best source of statistical information on the subject. Highly recommended.
- Power Reporting: Resources for Journalists
- Bill Dedman assembles this amazing catalog of annotated resources for use by media professionals. Bill's company, Power Reporting, teaches media people how to use the new technology. Recommended.
- Internet Press Guild
- This organization of journalists who cover the Internet offers a very thorough guide about how they like to be treated by PR professionals.
- Internet Media Fax
- Paul Krupin's do-it-yourself newswire service allows you to select the specific contacts you want a release to go to, then upload the release, and he will fax it to the list for a fee. Tricky to use, but worth the learning curve.
- Superb resource put together by the American Journalism Review. Ability to access a database of thousands of news outlets, including print, broadcast, and online.
- Cynet, Inc.
- Cynet is a business communications provider. One of their specialties is broadcast faxing: you send them a document and a list of fax numbers, and they'll fax it for you easier and cheaper than you can yourself.
- eNews Release
- Provides online marketing services as well as up-to date media contacts, news distribution, content development, online promotion and managed publicity programs. Database of over 50,000 media destinations, including print, TV, radio, and online.
- PR Leads
- Dan Janal's service to helps authors, speakers, and experts get PR and publicity. Janal basically sorts ProfNet for you -- instead of paying $1500/yr for ProfNet, you pay Janal $500/yr to send you only those leads related to your area of expertise.
- News Media Directories
- Publisher of regional media directories, mostly southeast.
- PR Web
- Press release newsire with a customizable news feed for journalists.
- FinderBinder Media Directories
- Publishes regional media directories through affiliates.
We appreciate your suggestions. Please e-mail them to email@example.com. If possible, include the name and URL for new sites, and a brief description of why the site is valuable. Thank You!