644 Greenville Ave. STE 234, Staunton, VA 24401
~ Email: email@example.com ~ Web: orobora.com
Last Updated: December 31, 2017
- Director of Content
- 2015-present. Orobora provides online marketing services for reputation-minded businesses. Solutions provided include website content, list development, list management, public relations and marketing commmunications. Specialties include authors, experts, entrepreneurs and Amazon retailers.
- Executive Director
Staunton Medial Lab
- 2015-present. The Staunton Media Lab is a media arts program for deaf, blind and uniquely-able adults. The lab teaches audio editing to those with low-vision and video editing to the hard of hearing. The lab also reviews and develops assistive technology, including the ARMi Assistive Technology Arm and the Grippi Phone Holder.
- Chief Operating Officer
- 2010-2015. SixEstate Communications provides newsblogging services for corporations and nonprofit organizations. Newsblogging is a highly structured form of online journalism that generates top-ranked blogs, usually within 30 days. SixEstate produced the #2 blog on Health Care Reform and the #2 blog on Childhood Obesity, among other achievements.
- Executive Director
Patron Saint Productions, Inc.
- 2001-2015. Patron Saint Productions provided online marketing strategy, campaigns, and training for the book publishing trade. Originally started in 1994 as Internet Publicity Services, Inc. The company produced online campaigns for over a thousand books, working for most of the largest publishers in the U.S. and Canada. An archive of publishing resources survives at this website.
- Assistive Technology Mentor
Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind
- 2012-2017. I began as a volunteer tech mentor in the assistive technology class where I learned how the blind navigate computers using screen reading software. This led to the formation of the Staunton Media Lab on the campus of VSDB to develop assistive technologies and teach disabled adults new, exciting, marketable skill sets.
- Adjunct Professor
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- 2001-2011. I designed a course, including syllabus, readings, lesson plans, assignments, and templates that Tulane University now teaches on three campuses in the Gulf South. That course, MDAR365 Internet Public Relations, is taught in state-of-the-art computer labs. Each student builds a complete online publicity campaign for the organization of the student's choosing. It is an intense, 16-week immersion generating real benefits to businesses and nonprofits that participate in the program.
- The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- In 2008, I designed the online class PSPR204, "Media Relations in the New Media World," in the Strategic Public Relations track for the Graduate School of Political Management. The course emphasizes political media relations, such as those practiced by Congressional press officers and journalists covering the U.S. capital, with a concentration on Internet tools and techniques.
PMA Publishers University
- Since 1999. Publishers University is a three-day symposium produced by Publisher's Marketing Association (PMA). I designed PMA's Introduction to Online Publicity course and in 2006 began teaching an Advanced course as well. I have also taught courses on conventional publicity, online video production, online marketing, blogging, and social networking.
Stanford Professional Publishing Program, Palo Alto, CA
- Since 2007. Taught broad overview course on Internet publicity for the publishing trade.
- International Association of Online Communicators (IAOC) Conference
- Since 2005. Assembled and moderated Online Crisis Communications panel. Taught workshop on online video production. Helped organize the 2006 conference in Brussels, Belgium, and the 2008 conference in Zurich, Switzerland.
- University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA) Extension
- 2004 - Taught two classes on online public relations.
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Conference
- 2004 & 2005. Assembled and moderated the PRSA's first panel on blogging.
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) Conference
- 2003. Presented monograph on "Email Media Relations in a Filtered Environment."
- Book Expo America
- 2010. Member of a panel on "Reaching Book Buyers Online."
- Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop
- 2004 & 2008. Taught an online publicity seminar and an online video seminar.
- Publishers Association of the West (PubWest) Conference
- 2001 & 2002. Taught workshops on Internet Publicity for Book Publishers.
- Association for the Export of Canadian Books (AECB)
- 2005. Two half-day intensive workshops in Toronto on Online Marketing.
- Organization of Book Publishers of Ontario (OBPO)
- 2003. Taught a seminar on Internet publicity in Toronto. Also one-on-one consulting sessions with 10 publishers in two days under an OBPO grant.
- Banff Publishing Program
- 2001. Taught two classes, one on Online Publicity and one slamming ebooks.
- Book Publishers Association of Alberta (BPAA)
- 1998. Taught an overview seminar on Internet Publicity for Book Publishers.
- Other Teaching Experience
- Since 1994, I have given numerous local presentations for writers groups, private businesses, and nonprofit organizations in the Seattle area, New Orleans, and New York. I frequently am a guest instructor and for several years taught a 10-week writing course for the Port Townsend, Washington, Public Library.
- Complete Guide to Internet Publicity (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2002)
- Publicity on the Internet (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997)
- Manuscripts in Development
Publicity on the Internet, 3rd Edition (pending publisher)
- => Set Your Head on Fire: Fuel for the First Time Writer (ms. complete)
Books Contributed To
- Plug Your Book!
- by Steve Weber, Weber Books, 2007. Wrote foreword.
- The Internet Encyclopedia
- by Hossein Bidgoli, John Wiley & Sons, 2004. Contributed material on search engine optimization.
- Publicize Your Book
- by Jacqueline Deval, Perigee Trade Books, 2003. Wrote chapter on Internet publicity.
- You Can Make It Big Writing Books
- by Jeff Herman, Prima Publishing, 1999. Contributed chapter on Internet publicity.
- Publish to Win
- by Jerrold R. Jenkins and Anne M. Stanton, Rhodes & Easton, 1997. Contributed material on Internet publicity.
- Publicity Basics
- Council of Literary Magazines and Presses, 1997 (?) Contributed chapter on Internet publicity.
- 1994 Writer's Market
- Edited by Mark Garvey, F&W Publications, 1993. Contributed interview on small press publishing.
- Collected in The Factsheet Five Zine Reader (1997), Loompanics Golden Records (1993), Mondo 2000 Users Guide to The Edge (1992), Loompanics Greatest Hits (1990).
Periodicals Published or Edited
- SixEstate Newsblog
Editor & Contributor
- 2010-2015. Led a team of online marketing experts in a long-running series of articles on the mechanics and ethics of online marketing and public relations.
- The Beautiful Plan: Online Marketing Strategies for Book Publishers
- Publisher & Editor, 2002-2005. Newsletter of articles and case histories was a casualty of Hurricane Katrina in August, 2005.
- Publisher & Editor, 1993-94. A zine for acoustic piano enthusiasts.
- The Spark
- Publisher & Editor, 1983-84. Quarterly journal of anarchist thought.
- The Michigan Libertarian
- Editor, 1980-82. Monthly house organ of the Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- The Red Cedar Review
- Managing Editor, 1978-1982. Quarterly literary journal of Michigan State University.
Periodicals: Columns or Series Written
- The Independent
Contributor & Columnist
- 1992-Present. Monthly newsletter of the Independent Book Publishers Association. I have contributed numerous articles over the past 15 years, including a popular series of interviews called "Publishing Profiles." Pleased to serve under editors Jan Nathan and Judith Appelbaum.
- PR News
Internet PR Columnist
- 1998 Monthly column. Published by Phillips Business Information (now Access Intelligence)
- Internet World Magazine
Book Industry Columnist
- 1995-1996 Published by Meckler Media. Contributed site reviews, interviews, and feature articles under editor Michael Neubarth.
- COSMEP Newsletter
- 1992-1994 (?) Published by The International Association of Independent Publishers. I wrote a monthly column under the kind eye of editor Richard
- Various & Sundry
- I have contributed writing to over 100 periodicals. Some of the more memorable ones were Harpers, Wired, The Wall Street Journal, Small Press, SALON, Factsheet Five, Outside Magazine, Boing Boing, Curio, NetWorth, HotWired, The Nose, Out Your Backdoor, Angry, Out of Bounds, Talking Raven, Cadence Review, CODA, Music for People.
Online Programs Produced
- Staunton Media Lab Live
- Producer & Host, 2014-2016. A weekly live-streamed program primarily about assistive technology. During it's two year run, SML Live built up a library of tutorials on using chromebook computers, audio editing, and video editing with an emphasis on tips and tricks for those with low vision or hearing.
- Introduction to Online Publicity
- Producer & Host, 2002-2011. 10-week online course in Online Publicity. This online course was offered every Fall and Spring at no charge by Patron Saint Productions. The class uses and reviews a variety of communications technologies, including chat, Skype, Google Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, live streaming, and other tools. The class is used as a working session for professional publicists. The first 30 minutes teach a basic Internet PR skill and the next 30 minutes are devoted to brainstorming current campaigns.
- "Louder than Words"
- Producer, 2009. Louder than Words was an ambitious, experimental effort to build a live, online television network for teens. Louder than Words used the Kyte TV video service to create a live video program that was syndicated into dozens of high-traffic teen websites. Teen authors could chat live with viewers participating from dozens of different sites. The novel program was written up in publishing trade journal,Publishers Weekly.
- "This Week on IAOCblog.com"
- Producer, 2005-2008. Weekly blog program of the International Association of Online Communicators (IAOC). Co-produced with copywriter extraordinaire, Morty Schiller. Each week, a different guest presenter took the helm of the blog for a discussion of topics related to Online PR. As producers, we line up guests, administer blogging accounts and access, promote shows, moderate comments and shoot down spam. Drew 50,000 unique visits a month.
- The LIVEbrary
- Producer, 2007-2009. Published by Annick Press, the LIVEbrary was a two-year program for middle school and junior high school students, teachers, and librarians. The production was funded by an "innovative marketing grant" from the Canada Council for the Arts. The program included the LIVEbrary Blog, the LIVEbrary Letter weekly newsletter, converting a dozen books into online lesson plans, and training a dozen authors to deliver online classroom visits. Technologies taught to authors included text chat, instant messenger, audio chat, video chat, Skype, FreeConferenceCall, ooVoo, Moodle, and other communications platforms.
- AuthorViews Blog
- Editor, 2005-2008. I was blogmaster of this video blog which featured text and video profiles of hundreds of authors and others in the book publishing trade.
- Internet Publicity Resources
- 1997-Present. Award winning collection of resources used in online publicity campaigns including case histories, document templates, online classes and annotated resource links -- all free of charge.
- Other Online Programs Produced:
- 2005 - BK Currents Blog, Berrett-Kohler Books. Current events blog program with five authors.
- 2004 - "Freaky Fridays," Ripley's Believe It or Not! 10-week junior high school online classroom companion program featuring live, online chats.
- 1998 - Read Across America Day Chats, random House Children's Media Group. 5-author live online program.
- 1996-1998 - Random House Children's Author Chat Series. 4-6 authors per season. Live, online chat program.
- Others: Dearborn Financial Planning Series, Dearborn Entrepreneur Chat Series, Wiley Culinary Seminar Series, Health For Dummies Chat Series, the Smart Business SuperSite Reference Library, the MyJobSearch.com Career Coaching Series, the MyJobSearch.com Newswire.
- 2015-Present, Director of Content, Orobora, Inc.
- 2014-Present, Executive Director, Staunton Media Lab
- 2010-2015, Chief Operating Officer, SixEstate Communications
- 2001-2015, Executive Director, Patron Saint Productions
- 2004-2008, President, AuthorViews, Inc.
AuthorViews was a spin-off of Patron Saint Productions. AuthorViews produced and syndicated over 200 online author video interviews collected in more than two dozen cities.
- 1999-2001, Director of Internet Publicity Services, Tenagra Corporation, Houston, Texas
- 1994-1999, President, Internet Publicity Services, Inc., Port Townsend, Washington
- 1989-1994, Editorial Director, Loompanics Unlimited, Port Townsend, Washington
- Prior to 1989: Freelance Writer, Typesetter, Trust Clerk (Bank of America), Trust Business Management Officer (Bank of America), Executive Director (Michigan Libertarian Party), machinist, dog trainer, lawn mower, dish washer.
- 1982 - Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from the Honors College at Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan. Minors in accounting and creative writing. Some graduate work in business finance.
- 2008 - Doctorate of Divinity, Universal Life Church, Seattle, Washington. This "degree" is free for the asking; my commitment, however, is real and deep. I have long been a scholar of world religions. I am now also a licensed minister and available to perform all the duties of that office. Please let me know how I may serve you.
Awards and Honors
- 2017 Business of the Year, Virginia Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired
SML Audio Director, Coley Evans, also named 2017 DBVI Employee of the Year for his work on an assistive technology podcast.
- 2009 - PR Innovation of the Year, Bulldog Reporter Magazine
Gold Award, with Amacom Books, for "Blog Buddy" Campaign
- 2008 - Innovative Marketing Grant, Canada Council for the Arts
- 1998 - Tenagra Award for Internet Marketing Excellence
Individual Achievement Award for Publicity on the Internet book and website